Grain Field Chickens, a subsidiary of VKB Agriculture (Pty) Ltd, is a dynamic role-player in the integrated broiler industry with an abattoir in Reitz in the North-Eastern Free State. We offer you the opportunity to establish yourself within a professional, corporate environment in the countryside.
This position will be responsible for safely and properly delivering live poultry to the processing plant from broiler/ contract grower farms. This will involve the ability to safely drive a fully loaded truck trailer on open public roads, small and gravel/ dirt roads, and driveways.
- Grade 12 desired (or basic literacy skills).
- A valid Code 14 (EC Driver’s License) is required.
- PDP with NO endorsements is a must.
- At least 3 years experience in a similar role
- Experience in the agriculture industry will be advantageous.
- Ability to converse in English and/ or Afrikaans.
- A clear criminal record.
- Must be medically fit (will undergo standard Medical Surveillance).
- Proven ability to maneuver, reverse and park vehicles into confined spaces.
- Will drive truck on gravel/ uneven farm roads (slopes and downhill).
- A willingness to work overtime, incl. shifts and weekends, when required.
- To arrive at work on time and fit to complete a full shift.
- Perform all pre-trip and post-trip inspections in and outside the vehicle in accordance with company policy.
- Drive a truck to transport chickens from the broiler farms to the processing plant.
- Adherence to loading and offloading procedures on and off company premises.
- Will be required to pick up a trailer/ s loaded with empty modules/ cages and transport them to the poultry farm.
- Once on the farm, the driver must be willing to unbind the tarpaulins which will allow the modules/ cages to be unloaded.
- Once the modules/ cages are unloaded, filled and restacked, and loaded back onto the trailer/s, the driver must cover a load of modules/ cages with the tarpaulins and transport them to the processing plant in terms of company standards and traffic rules.
- Responsible for the humane handling and transportation of live poultry from the farms to the processing plant as well as the completion of related documents.
- Must always follow abattoir guidelines for weighing live poultry.
- Must follow truck tarping guidelines during periods of inclement weather.
- Must be willing and able to work in and be exposed to outside temperatures and the environment.
- Must be willing and able to sit for extended periods of time while driving.
- Must be willing and able to stoop, grasp, grip, twist, pull, and bend.
- Must operate a vehicle in a way that will ensure efficient fuel consumption (corrective driver to prevent excessive fuel consumption).
- Must prevent tarpaulin damage when operating the roof of the trailer/s during hoisting and lowering thereof.
- Ensure timeous arrival at farms and ensure Vehicle-On-Time.
- Ensure the vehicle is always kept clean (truck cab inside and outside and the bed of the trailer).
- Ensure vehicle is always maintained as per schedule.
- Attend to the administration on time, accurately (detailed completion of logbooks and other vehicle and company documents).
- Must report any deviations on the vehicle to the line manager.
- Ensure accurate and detailed completion of logbooks and other vehicle and company documents.
- Drive the company truck in a safe and reliable manner as required by company policy and in accordance with the laws of the road, whether loaded or not.
- Compliance with relevant company policies, health and safety, environmental, and quality requirements.
- No Smoking or eating is allowed inside the cabin/ cubicle.
- Must always wear the correct uniform/ full PPE issued by the company.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner that will ensure effective cooperation with growers, customers, clients, co-workers, and leadership team/s.
- Ensure customer complaints/ compliments are reported daily to the line manager/ supervisor.
- Where required by management, perform other scheduled and unscheduled deliveries and collections to and from designated locations.
- Any other duties as may be required by management.
- Ability to interact with other employees in a respectful, helpful, and responsive manner.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to record, analyze and report information (verbal and written).
- Ability to work independently when the role requires.
The company can expire jobs at any time at our own discretion. Should you not have received a response within 4 weeks of the closing date of this advert, please consider your application as unsuccessful.